Wednesday, February 25, 2009


February is passing by quickly! We are so ready for Spring around here! I cannot wait to work out in the yard. I hope to start clearing some garden beds this weekend. Today I will share a couple of recipes and a book review. The first recipe is from the book Saving Dinner, by Leanne Ely. I really enjoy this cookbook. It contains menus, shopping lists, and good healthy meals with side options also.

CARAMELIZED GARLIC CHICKEN

3 teaspoons olive oil, plus additional for greasing foiled pan

6 cloves garlic,pressed

6 teaspoons brown sugar

6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

Heat oven to 500 degrees F. Line shallow roasting pan with foil, lightly grease the foil with a little oil.

Heat oil in small skillet over medium-low heat until hot. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes or until garlic begins to soften. (Don't let garlic get brown!) Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar until well mixed. Set aside.

Place chicken breasts on greased foil-lined pan, spreading the garlic mixture evenly over chicken.

Bake for 10-15 minutes or until chicken is fork-tender and juices run clear.


The next recipe is from my cousin, Tonia. What a great dessert!!

MOUNTAIN DEW CAKE

1 box lemon cake mix

1 (3.4-oz.) box instant lemon pudding

1 (12-oz.) can Mountain Dew

3/4 cup vegetable oil

4 large eggs

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 10-cup Bundt pan. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, Mountain Dew, oil, and eggs. Mix at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.


This makes for an absolutely delicious dessert! Thanks Tonia!


I recently finished the book The Duggars: 20 and Counting! by Michelle & Jim Bob Duggar. I loved this book. I couldn't put it down! The Duggar family just fascinates me anyway. This book was an interesting account of their family values and guidelines. All through the book, one can see how they put God first and how He blessed that. They are also very honest about mistakes along the way. I especially enjoyed the section on how they have handled finances. To handle finances God's way is something that is not promoted in today's society, but they had patience and endurance in this area and faith that God would provide and see them through. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and learned much from it.


Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Kim

7 comments:

Missy Wertz said...

Kim, are those 3 strapping boys I see in those photos? I bet you are busy all the time. Cooking cleaning and schooling and chauffeuring. And I bet you would not trade it for anything. :-D It is the most rewarding job. :D I have one DD and she keeps me very busy and she is public schooled! Our school is very good. My SIL, who is an educator in a private school, said that we can not move until she is out of school as long as we have her in public school unless we decide to homeschool or put her in a private school. At one time, you could not buy a house in this area (all b/c of our school), but the recession has changed that.

You have fine boys there!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Cass @ That Old House said...

Hi Kim, So nice to have you visit my blog. You must be one very busy mother! Your blog is delightful, and I am going to try that chicken tonight.

My girls are now in college and grad school, so they have flown the coop, but you will never regret spending your time caring for your wonderful family.

Blessings... Cass

Anonymous said...

So glad you like the cake!
I also enjoy the Duggars. Have not read their book yet but it's certainly on my reading list. As for Godly finances, isn't it obvious by the mess our country is in that most people are not putting God in control of their finances? Dave Ramsey's program was laughed at 8 years ago but now I hear and see him all over the media. Ummm...what's next? Maybe putting prayer and God back into our schools! I pray so.

Pam said...

Hi Kim,
I'm glad you won the book also. Now, the hard part will be getting it to you.
I am enjoying your blog also. I am planning on trying this chicken recipe very soon. Brittany is allergic to so much food now, we have to watch what we eat, but I think we are good on this one.
I was watching the Duggar's recently and I loved the way they involved the whole family in mission work.

Jules said...

I'll have to try your chicken recipe sometime! As for the Mt. Dew cake! Yum! My friend makes this and it is wonderful. :o) I love watching the Duggar family on Tues. nights, but I missed their show last night b/c their title changed. (We have a DVR and it didn't record b/c it's 18 instead of 17 now.) Anywho...I would love to read their book! They are facinating aren't they? Enjoyed reading your post today. Thanks for leaving me a comment.

JudyBug said...

What handsome young men! Your recipes sounds luscious!

I am addicted to red/pink transferware. Thanks for your sweet comments about my header. Those usually hang on my wall.

JudyBug

CFC Flames '04 said...

Hi there! Are you guys in Chattanooga? I see some of your pictures are from there. :-) Beautiful boys by the way!
I've been thinking about reading the Duggar book - now it's on my list for sure. I'll be trying some of your recipes too.